Saturday, July 8, 2017

Week 2 Reflection

In an article I read this week by Lowenthal, Dunlap, and Stitson (2016) about strategies on creating a web presence, I had a huge eye opener that I need to have a better web presence. 

When I Google my name the following sites I have an account with show up chronologically: LinkedIn, Chronicle Vitae, a school I taught at, YouTube, and Pinterest. I'm pleased that my more professional accounts show up before my social media ones. However, I need to be more active and intentional at shaping my digital footprint by showcasing my educational technology talents. 

I've decided that I need to create a personal website to show the work that I've done to help assist in getting a job as an instructional designer. Additionally, I'd like to use the self-publishing platforms I shared this week (i.e., Powtoon, Easel.ly, and iBooks Author), and create things from these tools and share them on my site. 



Reference:

Lowenthal, P. R., Dunlap, J. C., & Stitson, P. (2016). Creating an intentional web presence: Strategies for every educational technology professional. TechTrends60(4), 320.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I searched my name on google. Hits show people with the same name in other universities. I guess I didn't promote myself enough. I wish I could create a professional account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I searched for myself and share a name with a prominent sociologist, so i'm nowhere near the top results! I don't know if this a good thing or bad thing, considering I would like to funnel any potential suitors through my personal website, and this ensures they'll most likely go through me to find my work.

    ReplyDelete