Thursday, June 29, 2017

Social Media Twitter Poll vs. Pew Research's Data on Social Media Usage

Yesterday I created a 24 hour poll on Twitter to see which social media platform people tend to use the most. Granted, my results cannot be generalized due to my sampling population size being only nine people and that most of respondents are from my Web 2.0 class (not a random sample), but you'll find the results to be quite similar to Pew Research's data. 



As you can see from my poll's results, 78% of my respondents said Facebook was the social media platform they use the most. Moreover, it's not surprising that LinkedIn isn't used the most. Now this isn't to say that LinkedIn doesn't play a major factor in one's online identity. When I was reading an article by Kietzmann, Hermkens, McCarthy, and Silvestre (2011), they described the seven functional blocks of social media (i.e., identity, conversations, sharing, presence, relationships, reputation, and groups) which basically shows the functionalities a site encompasses and its impact factor. For example, Facebook is more about maintaining relationships, having conversations, and having an online identity and presence; whereas LinkedIn is more focused on one's identity, reputation, and professional relationships. 


Below is an interesting correlation chart of social media platforms showing the percentage of users of each platform who also use another platform. For instance, 93% of Twitter users, 95% of Instagram users, and 89% of LinkedIn users also use Facebook. 

Which one of these statistics is the most shocking to you? Also, do these correlations relate to your use of these social media platforms? 





References:
Greenwood, S., Perrin, A., & Duggan, M. (2016, November 11). Social Media Update 2016. Retrieved from http://www.pewinternet.org/2016/11/11/social-media-update-2016/ 

Kietzmann, J. H., Hermkens, K., McCarthy, I. P., & Silvestre, B. S. (2011). Social media? Get serious! Understanding the functional building blocks of social media. Business horizons54(3), 241-251.
x

8 comments:

  1. If the question had been the same as Pew's ...I'd have FB and Twitter in the daily column and the other three as weekly. But where's Snapchat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to run some more polls in regards to time spent, engagement (e.g., posting, liking, sharing), which one you act as a lurker, etc. Snapchat is definitely the one I use the most often and like the best!

      Delete
  2. This is interesting! I didn't know you could run a poll on twitter (it's been 10 years since I've used it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polling was adding within the past year! It's a really fun feature!

      Delete
  3. One of my friends doesn't use Facebook, but Twitter. Some friends say you can choose one of Facebook or twitter. The function is the same. Just have one for easy management. ;) Also, I think it depends on what most of your friends use. If most of your friends use Facebook, then you use Facebook, so you can connect with them easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think it also depends on your age, location, etc!

      Delete
  4. Hi Kelli,

    This is so cool and I think that this poll functionality is an extremely powerful tool. I see that you added the hashtags for ISTE17 and Edtech - Do you think you could get an even better response rate if you included even more groups from the Twittersphere? I personally thought that it was most interesting to see that 95% of Instagram users and 93% of Twitter users are also using Facebook. These seem like the big three to me. Pretty amazing that your Facebook poll almost matched up exactly with the Pew Research Center's poll. I am excited to try this polling tool out with our class. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was really interesting is that while my poll had 199 views while active, I only had 9 respondents. So I only received a 4.5% respondent rate...

      Delete