Friday, July 7, 2017

iBook, uBook, we all eBook


Have you ever had the idea that you should write a book? Or even just wanted to make your own cookbook of your favorite recipes? Well... if you're a Mac-user (e.g., MacBook, iPad, iMac), iBooks Author is a free app that enables you to create your very own eBook!

Like any new thing I try, I typically just jump right in and mess around. I found iBooks Author to be very user friendly and simple like most apple products. 

When you open up the app and select to start a new eBook, you're given numerous options of templates to choose from  (that can be customized) or you could choose a blank template. 


I chose a portrait template and began creating my eBook about my dog, Georgia. I found it was very easy to add images, change fonts, delete items, etc. 


One of my favorite features about iBooks Author is that you have the ability to add widgets to make your eBook interactive. I wish I had known about this app when I was a teacher because this would have been a complete gamechanger! Imagine all of the self-publishing projects my students could have completed. Ughhh. 


Finally, once you've finished writing your book, you simply click publish and it's uploaded to the iBooks Store. 




PROS:
  • It's free
  • Short learning curve
  • Easy to navigate
  • Ability to add voice recordings or music
  • Add interactive widgets like diagrams, photo, video, 3D models, review questions and so much more.
  • It's very customizable 
  • It also be used for non-publication purposes like portfolios

CONS:
  • Only Mac-users can use the platform
  • If you're intended audience isn't a purely iOS/Mac OS X group, this may not be the best choice.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelli~
    I took a class with Vanessa this past spring called EME5077 - Mobile Learning. If you enjoy this, you'd probably really enjoy this class:). I know I did!!!

    ReplyDelete