Friday, July 21, 2017

Storify vs. List.ly

Earlier this week I used List.ly to curate a list for an upcoming assignment and one commenter said they thought Storify was better. So...I decided to see if they were right!

My goal was to use the same information that I used for my List.ly post by using Storify. Below you can see what the finished product looks like and compare it to my List.ly one.

Now one of the main features of Storify is its ability to include social media posts, but I didn't use this feature because I was using the same information from my List.ly post. What I quickly noticed was how easy it is to use. I created my storify in under five minutes! The main difference that I noticed was the access I had to social media content that I could include in my story and the inability to upload your own images/videos. I researched why Storify doesn't allow you to do that and found out it's because of copyright issues and they want to make sure whatever is used can be attributed to the owner or host site. Since I couldn't include my own pics like I did in for my list.ly post, I just searched for relevant images and gifs to include.

Ultimately, I think the two tools are like apples and oranges. List.ly is great for creating lists for others to add to and update, while Storify is more focused on locating public content and creating a story with it.

PROS:

  • fairly easy to use
  • simply drag and drop what you want in your story
  • its interface has access to linking different types of media (e.g., giphy, twitter, instagram, facebook, URLs, youtube, copyright free media, and more)
  • you can search for copyright free media:



CONS:

  • you can't directly add your own images unless you're a storify enterprise user...However, you can go around it by uploading your images to a copy image sharing site like imgur.com and the simply copy and paste the URL. 


No comments:

Post a Comment